Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Sometimes, there is an instant fix to our moods.
Sometimes, we are just a thought, or an awareness away from a different feeling, a different experience. And sometimes, an action can transform us.
Here are a few of my top picks for simple instant not-on-line, not-substance-related, not-purchase-related, not-time-consuming, pick you ups:
1) Do something kind for someone anonymously. You can do it not anonyomously too, but anonymously can be more fun. It's private and precious and yours. When you do something kind, you are instantly kind. Your character is instantly elevated, and you have evidence of your contribution to the betterment of the world and human kind. Pay for someone's coffee. Pay the toll for the car behind you. Leave some flowers for someone. You never know who needs it, or who is hurting, but you can know that you did a good turn in the world. Trust that it worked.
2) Say something kind to someone. Someone you know, or someone you don't. Doesn't matter. Keep it short and simple. Give a compliment. Love your dress. Nice tie. Good idea.
3) Say thank you to someone. Thanks for holding the door, pushing the elevator button, taking out the garbage, sending you info, giving you a call. Mean it.
4) Let someone go ahead of you in line. Be gracious.
5) Feed someone's meter.
5) Smile. Yes, I know, its cliche. But it works.
Of course, these are not cover ups for our emotional pain, or our struggles, but sometimes when we get out of ourselves for even a moment, our thoughts can shift, the way we see things can shift. Our biochemistry can shift. And we can go back to dealing with the things we need to deal with, to letting them run through us without running over us. Try it.